Thursday 13 August 2015

Results day, university advice and more!

All that hard work for your A-Levels has now paid off and here comes one of the most important life decisions you will ever make - do I go to university or not?

Obviously that depends on if you have enough UCAS points to go and each university will have their own required number of points in order to study. But if you have got enough the decision is definitely not one to be taken lightly.
     

Let me presumably bore you all to death with a story that occurred three years ago when I was in this same position: I was waiting to find out my grades. I had completed two different A-Levels in Film Studies and Media Studies (two different courses I assure you) at South Tyenside College (from two of the best teachers I've had the pleasure of being students for - Jon Burton and Martin Charlton) as well as two AS classifications in English Literature and Sociology.

I didn't know until results day if I'd have enough points to take the plunge. I wanted to stay on and finish Sociology as I loved the teacher and the course. But as it turned out I did have enough points to go to the University of Sunderland to do a journalism degree. But Alistair Robinson, head of journalism (for want of a better title description) had 'recruited' me and got me into the idea of doing a degree.

Cue open day at uni. I explored the St Peter's Campus to see what they had to offer and spoke to staff members there so I could make a more informed decision on what I wanted to do.

One of the lecturers there called Guy Starkey introduced me and when I spoke to him about the two minds I was in, he asked me one question which almost single-handedly influenced my decision: 'You can go back, but if you do, would you be treading water?'

I took a while to decide what I wanted to do but that question kept haunting me and eventually I realised that if I declined this opportunity I was presented with, it may not come up again. So, I went for it and chose to go to University. And now, looking back on it, it turned out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life.

The point of that story is that I'm sure everyone will be in that transition stage where it hits you that this is a big turning point in your life. I know people will tell you how important it is but I can't stress it enough.

But now for some poorly-worded advice!

Although it varies on which degree you do, usually the first year of uni doesn't have much bearing on your final degree mark when you graduate. But first bit of advice, don't worry about that yet. Your first year is purely about getting settled in, getting used to the environments and familiarising yourself with the academic requirements (such as referencing and bibliographies etc). 

Your first year is more or less a taster for what is to come. Well, it was for me anyway. So if you're going to have your weekly nights out and Sunday morning hangovers, get them out of the way in your first two years, but particularly your first.

Second year is when the grades start to count, although only a small percentage towards your degree. Nevertheless you still have to put in genuine work. I slacked off heavily in the first semester of my second year and it (rightly so) bit me on the rear end later on. Thankfully I pulled my finger out and worked tirelessly hard from then on but my point is that, although you can somewhat get away with it, don't slack off. Do the work to the best ability you can and if you haven't got great grades, at least you know you tried.

Third year is judgment day for uni students. This is where everything counts. Every assignment, every module. Although it may seem miles away, it will come around quickly. When it does come, take it seriously as that year alone will shape your degree for the most part.

As for other bits of advice, take advantage of your tutors/lecturers. They are paid to give you the best possible education there so make the most of them. If anything is bothering you or if there's anything you're unsure about, ask them or talk to them; that's what they are there for.

On that note though, you have to attend lectures, seminars and workshops. Attendance is vital in order for you to do well. Not only does it look good for you, but it gives a better idea of what is required for assignments and you'll be thankful later on that you attended.

                                

People will probably be wondering about reading academic books given that you will have so many of them. Here it is, you don't have to read books BUT before you all cheer and sign will relief, you do have to research into academic books in order to good and relevant references as well as finding a good range of them for essays and other assignments. I didn't read many books and I got through it! As long as you research well enough and put the work in, you will be fine.

Another bit of advice is getting involved with other things at uni, not just doing your degree. For example, I worked for SportsByte which is the sports website done by students at Sunderland University. I covered Sunderland AFC Ladies for two-and-a-half years although I will be quitting at the end of the season to let someone else take over. But honestly, it will look better on your CV when you get a job or start searching after graduation. Not to mention it's a nice break from reading academic reference books anyway!

Work experience was crucial to me graduating, as it is for many students but, again, that's dependant of which degree you do. The best advice I can give is, if you can, try and do work experience before your final year. I did mine during the summer between second and third year which definitely helped me as I had more time to focus on my studies. Work experience is good, but it's a nightmare to organise and it is time consuming too.

But the final bit of advice I want to give is don't be afraid to go for it. Although university was very stressful and draining at the worst of times, I don't regret going one bit. Not only am I happy with my mark, but it's helped me to grow as a person and it's given me so much more confidence. I've definitely left a different person than when I started.

                          

Obviously this advice wouldn't be applicable to everyone because every degree is different and has their set of requirements but even if it doesn't help you directly, I hope I've at least given good advice to one person. If so, this blog has done what I wanted it do. Well done to those clever clogs on results day and whatever grades you got, good luck in your future.

No comments:

Post a Comment